I just got back another Harry Heike “rescue” from Frank Miller. This one was an M built off a Max Gray SP Tw-8. There were two main issues: the cab was too small in both height and width, and the smokebox front was built with the dogs soldered in the open position. If you look at the photo at the top of this blog you can see the open dogs on the model.
I had enough of staring at that mess so I stripped the model and pulled off the bad cab, then sent the model over to Frank for a rebuild and repair. At the same time, I sent back the model of #429 Frank had built for me because I gave him bad info and it needed the running board on the engineers side to be modified.
So, both Ms are back home and I want to share them with you. (Click on the images to see a larger photo.)
First, here is a shot of the front ends of both #429 (no outside steam pipes) and #376.
Now here is the engineer’s side of #429.
Now we have the engineer’s side of #375 with a 10,000 gallon tender.
And for a little contrast, here are the Ms facing a V class 4-6-0.
Category: !Joe's Projects