At a recent OSW meet, I found a complete Quality Craft Models wood and metal castings kit for a freight house. The address on the box and on the instruction sheet was the address for the Weaver's original shop probably dating the kit to late 1960s, early '70s. The kit was composed of mostly pre-cut wood parts and cast metal parts for the building and lots of assorted metal detail pieces (barrels, sacks, etc.). See attached photo.
I bought the kit with the idea that I might be able to modify the structure to represent a small produce packer for my switching layout. The track spur where the structure would go is close to and not parallel to a backdrop/layout divider. So the structure would have the back half cut off at an angle. Two other requirements were to use an existing loading dock (salvaged from my previous layout) and to have a loading spot at the building as well as the dock.
I made a rough measurement and sketch of the area between the track and backdrop where the building would go. The dock was already roughly in place fitting at one end inside the curve coming off the switch to the spur. The car to be spotted at the dock had plenty of room so long as the car cleared the fouling point. The wall labeled "Trackside" shown on the drawing would work with the addition of one of the unused wall pieces at the dock end. The man door would not be needed and was replaced with a another window.
The building wall on the dock end was precut for two windows. Instead of the windows, I refitted the wall with the other large door casting shown in the photo.
I had read about the 'Formula 560' glue being a very useful adhesive for other materials besides cementing a model airplane canopy or other clear window material. So far I've used this glue exclusively in constructing this building and am very impressed with it for wood to wood, wood to metal, and even wood to plastic (unintended in this case). Note that this is not a solvent based glue. In the bottle it looks much like ordinary white glue, but it drys clear and much faster than white glue and is certainly cures strong enough within a few minutes to allow handling for continued assembly.
Assembly of the produce packer building is shown in these two photos. Fortunately the space for the building was wide enough to allow for a full roof ridge making the building's missing back portion a little less obvious.
The kit provides black paper strips to represent a tarpaper roof and material for the window glass, but I'll wait till after I paint the building to adding those.
The roof base material supplied in the kit is interesting. At only .024" thick it is stiffer than card stock. Close examination shows it to have a wood core sandwiched between the outer paper/card sheets.
There is not room for a dock alongside the building and keep the roof line horizontal. If I had not wanted to use the existing dock in this model, I could have looked at the possibility of building a dock on the left end of the building and having room for a narrow dock along building.
The freight house is on hold for a few days waiting for a little warmer weather here to paint the structure. I do my painting in a unheated shop building with lots of good ventilation. So jump to another quick project --- up date a crossing wig wag signal that has been sitting on a shelf for the last 20 years. This signal is one of two salvaged from my previous layout and needed to have the burned out light bulb in the banjo replaced with an LED. Nothing that seems simple ever turns out to be so.
There is a double track where I intend to install this wig wag. When there are two or more tracks, the usual practice was to use a wig wag on each side. The partial mechanism visible in the photo will be used for a second wig wag that will need to be built. The other original signal is already in use elsewhere on the layout.