When Weaver introduced their troop sleepers and the express car versions in 2004, they were a hit. The only other models of such would be in expensive brass. I bought one in REX livery.Further, I got a kit made by Rod Miller for narrowing the Weaver Allied trucks and replacing the air and steam lines with brass parts. Research on REX cars informed me that Weaver chose a wrong number for their car. It was for an iced troop sleeper conversion, instead of one for a dry lading car, which the model represents.
After 6 years or so, owners of Weaver troop/express cars were discovering the die cast floors and under frames were 'growing' and curling. This led to the ABS car bodies being split in half in some cases. In response, Weaver offered a small refund on such damaged cars for a while. Replacement floors and under frames were not available for these Chinese made models. The die cast parts(which in some cases also included the Allied full cushion trucks)were suffering from internal corrosion caused by impurities in the zamak, called 'zinc pest.'
On learning this, I disassembled my Weaver car in 2010. I was lucky. The die cast floor and the underframe were only slightly bent. For the next several years, my Weaver REX remained in pieces. The trucks seemed to be OK, but the floor casting was curling ever more lengthwise as well as crosswise, sort of like a potato chip. The die cast underframe got longer by almost 1/16" and had a slight bend in it.
Atlas bought the rights to the Weaver tooling for this model when Weaver went out of business. They plan to re-run the troop sleepers and express cars. But getting additional replacement floors and underframes castings for earlier models needing them is an open question at this point.
With no hope of salvaging the floor casting, I set out to make a new floor from ABS sheet and styrene to the same thickness as the die cast floor. A slab of plywood was used to add back weight lost from the die cast floor.
While the model was in pieces and I wanted a B&O C-17class express car, alterations were made to the car body to bring it closer to B&O. I put up a photo album on this work, incase anyone wishes to see what was done. It might be more than some may care to do. My ability to take photos good enough for a printed article have become very limited, so I wrote this photo-story. All major work on the car has been done. What remains is painting and lettering which will also be added to the album.